Expressing Concern: When Being A Single Parent Ends

Quite often I think about what things would be like if ever I am to find a life partner/husband. I wonder... I worry about the relationship Phoenix will have with him and dread the whole "You're not my Daddy" thing when the time comes. Presently the relationship she has with her father is okay, not where I would like for it to be, but I'm thankful that there is one. In fact, I hope that the bond grows stronger as the time progresses. However, I want there to be a certain level of respect between she and the man who takes the role as stepfather.

There's no doubt in my mind that they'd get along, because I don't plan on letting just anyone become part of our pre-made family. But all kinds of crazy fears, worries, and deep concerns about letting a man into our sanction flow through my brain:
  • What if he molests her when I'm not home?
  • What if he appears to be nice at first, but eventually turns into a:
1. Woman Beater
2. Gold Digger
3. Control Freak
4. Straight Up-and-Down Psycho!
5. Et Cetera

I get so wrapped up in the “what-ifs” that I really don’t even want to consider getting married to anyone anymore. I know that I would not be dating a man for myself, but more-so for Phoenix. Just the thought of someone disappointing or hurting her, including myself, cuts me deep, and I really would hate for that to happen. So, what does a woman who would like to have more kids (preferably 2 boys) do to overcome those fears? Do I remain afraid and continue to protect myself and daughter? Or do I just be thankful for all that I have now, and let God do the rest?

I think I may have answered my own question.